Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Inherently Lonely

I have a huge family and except for a few times in my youth when I would have given anything to make them all disappear, I wouldn’t have it any other way. If my immediate family can’t help me I have aunts, uncles, cousins, and all kinds of friends we have adopted into our family who would be there for me in a heartbeat. It’s an amazing feeling to know you have that kind of support system.

I imagine that because I have the wonderful family I do that’s why it makes it hard for me to comprehend what it would be like to have no family at all. We have a friend who for many, many years hasn’t had any family. That is hard for me to fathom. However, I guess if two only children with little family marry and have children who never marry and one of the children dies young then the surviving child would literally have no family, just as he does. Imagine not having one living relative. There are probably more people than I think who don’t have a family. Literally not having a family is different from choosing to distance yourself or break away from your family though. At least then, you know they are out there.

I would think that it would be very lonely to know that you are the only one of your family left. I imagine there were times when he was very lonely, but he never let it show around us. I watched as an amazing man created a family of his own. He has several “children”, “grandchildren”, and “great-grandchildren” who couldn’t have loved him more if they had been related by blood. He has formed relationships with people who love him as if he was their own flesh and blood.

My family has taught me that blood doesn’t matter. We officially in Marijka’s case, and unofficially in lots of cases adopt people into our family all the time. My parents have taught me that generosity is never ending. Therefore, if you or someone you know is looking for or in need of some unconditional love and acceptance just send them our way I’m sure my parents we will be happy to bring them into the Anderson fold.

How lucky am I to have been shown by two wonderful parents that kindness, service, and generosity are things that you should freely give. What wonderful examples they have always been and continue to be to me. I am very fortunate to be surrounded by people who care about me.

No comments: