Sunday, July 7, 2013

Day #3 - Our Adventure


Today is the first we have had the internet since our first night. It's a long story but has involved us having to change rooms today just for that reason. We are in a nicer room, but I'm also paying more for it. When I finally get hold of the manager of this place we will be having a chat.
 
I was so excited yesterday because we were doing a session at the temple in Nauvoo! Kyle agreed to go even though it would be the first time he didn't have someone to help him with his clothes and things. I could tell he was really nervous.
 
This is hard to write, because I don't want to reveal too much about what goes on in the temple. There was only one male and one female officiator and they were in the front. Kyle told them at the beginning this was his first time alone and he was nervous. The male officiator said not to worry he was presiding over the session and would take care of him.
 
So I notice when we are going through the first part Kyle has his clothing on the wrong shoulder and nobody has noticed. So I get the attention of the lady and tell her. Now I wish I would have just left it alone. So the guy goes back and tells him and helps him take it off and just tangles it up and gives it to Kyle and walks off. So Kyle is struggling to straighten it out and get it on. There are 2 young guys behind Kyle and from my view I think they are both helping him. I even caught the eye of the one who turns out to be the "dirtbag", as Vicki so eloquently called him, and tried to convey my desire for him to help Kyle. Kyle finally gets it straightened out and on and the guy right behind him helps a little.  Kyle looks a little upset and I feel bad.
 
We continue on and switch things to the other side. Kyle does fine, but it takes him a little longer. Again the guy behind helps a little.
 
Kyle started through the end of the session ahead of me and was already in the Celestial room when I got there. When I get over to him I can see he is crying and very upset. I pull him over to a chair and sit with him. I ask what is wrong and he says he can't talk about it right now. We had plans to spend some time and pray together about some specific things. I ask him if he needs to leave and he went down to the dressing room.
 
After we got out of the temple we walked down and back the main street with the stores. We got some custard, which didn't even compare to Nielsen's. We stopped for some fudge, which is divine.
 
Once we got back in the truck and headed out for Keokuk in hopes of somewhere to eat and the WalMart I asked if he was ready to talk about it. He got all teary again and said when he was struggling the first time the guy behind him said, "Hurry up retard you are holding us all up, we have places to go." The guy next to him told him to be nice it was Kyle's first time. The second time when they changed the clothes and the guy behind Kyle was helping the guy told him, "Not to help the retard, he needed to figure it out himself."  Kyle said all he wanted to do was get up and walk out. I told him if it was me I probably would have. He said he knew how important it was to me and he just wanted to get through it.
 
So then he gets to the end of the session and is so upset he can't remember anything. The officiator helping him was not nice and upset Kyle even more. Another gentleman then takes charge and coaches Kyle thru everything and gets him through.

We ate at a Chinese buffet that was pretty good and then went to WalMart and got a small cooler and some more snacks. Basically the temple part of the day was a bust!

2 comments:

Charlotte said...

This makes me so angry that I could just spit. So so so sorry.

Marlee Anderson said...

You need to write a letter or something and let the temple president know the kind of things that are happening in his temple. That is unacceptable!