Thursday, July 4, 2013

Day #1 - Our Adventure

 
Kyle and I left today for our summer vacation/trip to the Scentsy convention. Things went smoothly with packing and we made it to the airport on time. We parked at Don's office at air cargo and proceeded to haul our luggage clear over to Terminal 2 in 100+ weather. That was a pleasant experience, but we didn't have to pay for parking so a bright side.
 
We flew standby and had no problem getting on the plane and we were on the first row behind first class so plenty of leg room, yeah! I usually don't sleep on planes, but as soon as we were in the air I was out and I didn't move until we were almost there. That may be due to a lack of sleep last night. Kyle was even able to get in my bag and eat all the cashews and I had no idea.
 
I had booked a car rental deal they call the wild card. You are guaranteed a compact car, but can end up with anything. It was cheaper and I figured what the heck. We are now cruising around in a shiny black, brand new, fully loaded F150 pickup truck, because they completely overbooked. I told Kyle I booked it for him so he could have his dream vacation, but he didn't buy it. I guess I better double my gas budget for this trip.
 
We stopped and grabbed some dinner at Steaks and Shakes. Kyle had a good burger, with an egg on it. They had free Wi-Fi so I booked us a room for the night while we ate. We drove a couple of hours towards Nauvoo to cut down on the drive tomorrow. While driving down the interstate I realized I was seeing lightening bugs all over on the side of the road. It took me a few minutes to figure out what the flashes were. I have never seen them before and it was amazing. I wished I had Garrett with me. It's cool to think that Heavenly Father thought of making bugs that light up at night. We pulled over and I tried to get a video for Garrett, but it didn't really work well.  I got a video message from him instructing me to catch one as soon as possible. We then pulled over a few minutes later and watched an amazing fireworks show off in the distance. We got to listen to our favorite patriotic songs on the radio and it was a nice evening.
 
A bit later my phone rang and it said Abby (Sandberg) wanted to FaceTime. I answered and she didn't realize she had called me let alone done the FaceTime thing. She was so thrilled and it was great to hear her voice. Earlier when we got off the plane she'd left me a message about how amazing it was that the 2 missionaries who came to see her in answer to my referral, were the 2 she had met at the funeral home and how incredibly sweet and amazing they were. They talked with her about death and left her a brochure. She said she will probably give them a call and talk with them again. It really is a coincidence because when I spoke with the Relief Society President from Abby's ward earlier in the week she told me they have so many missionaries since the First Presidency decreased the age requirement they have so many missionaries, that they are all tripping over each other trying to find enough to do, but she would make sure 2 of the sisters had gotten my referral and would follow up on it.
I made Kyle promise me when we hung up that he will never die, because I never want to experience the pain she is going through. When we got to the room and he took off his shoes. His custom made for his feet, $650 shoes. He has a huge blister. Luckily I packed a small first aid kit I put together. Please pray it heals up and doesn't get worse. We will try his Dr. Marten shoes tomorrow. It's a little frustrating that I can spend $100 on shoes at Gordman's that have been doing a better job than the ones we had to have specially made from him.

No comments: