Monday, March 15, 2010

He's Still Smiling

Kyle's knee surgery is over.  They decided he didn't need to spend the night and they would do it outpatient which Kyle was thrilled about.  We are still sitting in the recovery room and have been here for over 7 hours now.  The surgery was more complicated than they expected but it went well.  They did end up cutting the side of his knee open because there was a piece of bone in there the size of my thumb.  Dr. Mattsson said they were lucky because it was loose and he was able to grab it.  They knew there was a loose piece of bone in there but they didn't know it was that big and he wasworried it would be attached to the ligaments and they would have to leave it there rather than screw up the knee any worse. 


They problem now is that Kyle's blood sugar is really high and instead of going down when they gave him insulin it went higher.  They finally figured out that a drug he was given for nausea during surgery can screw up a diabetic's blood sugar levels.  So they have given him a drug they hope will counteract the earlier one.  They will test his blood sugar in a few minutes and if it is down we can go home if not, then I'm not sure if they know what they are going to do with him.  So they just tested it and its at 322.  Which is lower than the 410 it was earlier, but still not under 200 where they want it before he can go home.  So I guess we will see what is next.  I'm much happier since they brought me in a recliner instead of the hard as a rock side chair I have been sitting in for 6 hours and we just ordered room service so we are good to go for another little bit.  Although the minute they give the okay we will definitely be out of here. 

2 comments:

Charlotte said...

Sheesh!

I'm glad it went well, but I'm sorry that you both had to go through all of that. I don't think I remembered that Kyle dealt with diabetes as well. That always adds an unpleasant anxiety to surgery.

Nothing like some really crazy health issues to bond a new couple together. That's what I always say, any way.

Seriously though, hang in there. We'll be praying for you.

kat said...

geez, you two need a break!! Glad to hear the surgery went well enough. Now you both need a long vacation from the hospitals and doctors!!

You're in my prayers!