Sunday, November 16, 2014

I Am Thankful for Garrett & Gracie

I am grateful for a red headed little firecracker named Garrett and a gentle soul with darling dimples who goes by the name of Gracie. These two angels where born in into our family at a special time in our lives. Gracie was 3 1/2 months old and Garrett was just over a month old when my family started to deal with what was a challenging string of events. 

Around the beginning of April Janalee was diagnosed with thyroid cancer. We had a trip planned to Mexico so surgery was scheduled to remove her thyroid for when we returned. While there we got word from Tyler that he had gotten a hernia while working and was also going to need surgery. 

We were able to enjoy our trip and head for home. Dad, Marijka, and I were traveling in the truck pulling the trailer. The others were in the van following along. While driving toward home on I-15 near Fillmore a tire on the trailer blew. We rolled 3 times. The trailer was demolished.  Marijka scratched her arm, Dad checked out okay physically, and my knees went thru the windshield along with other scrapes and bruises on my head and hand.  

This happened late Sunday afternoon.  After extensive x-rays, and an excruciating hour when the picked all the glass and debris out of my knees. They had been cut down to the bone. They gave me 18 numbing shots inside each knee. Each one was hell. Even after the shots any pressure sent my pain levels off the charts. 

When I found out I was pregnant I was interested in seeing if labor would be comparable to this pain. Labor was very painful especially without an epidural. But the pain of my knees was almost as bad and went on much longer and I didn't get the cute baby at the end. So the most painful experience for me will remain the repair of the shredded tissue in my knees. 

Okay, I'll get back on track. After being discharged we got home late Sunday night. If I remember correctly Janalee's surgery was Tuesday. Tyler's was Thursday. Both went well. Now it came down to nursing everyone they their recovery. I had one recliner in the front room, Jan had the other, and Tyler was in Mom and Dad's room.

The Petersen family and several other friends were great during this time. They were there to take care of us and when the wreckage was sifted thru and what could be salvaged was brought home they cleaned it and helped figure what had been lost. They fed us, kept the house clean, and kept our moods up. 

Garrett and Gracie were our bright spots in a time when we were in a dark place. We got to hold and cuddle them. For me holding a little baby can take my stress away. Just having the babies in the house brought a special spirit. I really think they helped us all heal.

These cuties have continued to bring me much happiness and love as they have grown up. They are now 6 years old and in first grade. Garrett is very mischievous and adventurous. He has a thirst for knowledge. He picks a subject and learns everything he can about it. Ask him about Old Ephraim some day and be prepared to be awed. Today at dinner when Sean's mom walked in he said, "Hello Giselle, It's so good to see you." He has amazing manners and is growing up to be a true gentleman. Gracie is beautiful and has the cutest dimples. She is a little shy but warms up. She is a great soccer and t-ball player. Gracie has a tender heart. I love them both greatly. I'm so thankful they were born into our family.




No comments: