Wednesday, August 26, 2009

First Bridal Shower & an Eventful Few Days

My first bridal shower was on Saturday. Peggy Durrant and Sarah Lindley had it for me. The people invited all pitched in on the materials for a quilt and then we (or should I say everyone else) tied it for us. My 2 best friends who I hung around with all through high school, Cristy and Krista, came and we basically talked the whole time and left the quilt tying to everyone else. It was so much fun to visit and reminisce with them. I can't believe Krista has 4 kids and Cristy has 5!! I don't think I will even attempt to catch up with them. I really appreciate Peggy and Sarah going to all that work for me. It was a lot of fun.

Kyle and I continued our saga that is otherwise known as our engagement on Sunday night by spending the evening together in the emergency room. I've been aware that Kyle has heart problems since our 2nd date and it hasn't been a problem for me. On Sunday afternoon he started feeling like he was short of breath. He said he was okay and we went out to Newton for Brian and Emily's joint birthday party. When we got in the car to leave and we driving out of town he said he was surprised I didn't have Sher check him out. I said I didn't think he would want me to and asked if he thought she needed to. I was stunned when he said yes. I immediately knew something was really off with him. I turned around and went back and Sher listened to his lungs and heart. His lungs sounded okay but his heart was beating really, really fast. Sher said she thought we should go straight to the ER. We had Dad, Craig and Brian administer to him and then we went over. It's amazing how fast you can get attention at the hospital when you go in with a heart problem. His heart was beating at 136 beats per minute and his blood pressure was 169/133. They ran lots of tests and ruled out a blood clot in his lungs and basically told us they didn't know what to think. They sent us home and said to see his cardiologist as soon as possible.

We were able to get in to the doctor in Salt Lake yesterday morning. It was more than a 4 hour visit. They did an EKG and echo cardiogram. This morning they put a catheter down into his heart to measure the pressure in it. Anyway what it comes down to is all the medication he is on isn't making the heart any better and they want to put in a pacemaker and a defibrillator. We meet with another doctor next Wednesday and at that point we will know for sure if that is what we are going to do. The doctors think that will make a big difference. Kyle on the other hand is not happy about the idea at all. If they do that and it doesn't help we may be looking at a heart transplant sometime down the road. Life just keeps getting more and more interesting.

2 comments:

The Sagers said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Kyle's heart. Please know that our prayers are with you and Kyle. I hope that the surgery works well for him.

Charlotte said...

Oh Kami. Heaven forbid things start to get easy for you guys or anything!

You hang in there. Health issues can be tough when you're just starting out in a marriage, but I've found (through our own experiences, and through talking with Heidi) that they can really solidify your relationship as well. You've got some tough choices and tough roads, but what a blessing it is to be able to make them and travel them together.

Love you.