Thursday, September 12, 2013

9-11


Twelve years ago on September 11, I took the day off work to celebrate my 26th birthday. I was looking forward to sleeping in. Instead, I woke up to Janalee running into my bedroom yelling that we were under attack. It took me a few minutes to realize she wasn’t talking about us personally. She turned my television on just in time for us to watch the second plane hit the world trade center. I spent the rest of the day glued to the television watching the horrible images that filled the screen. It was so unreal.

That night my family and friends gathered in my front room for my “birthday party.” There wasn’t much celebrating as we all watched the television and prayed together for the victims. My birthday has never really been the same since then. I have a hard time feeling like celebrating on a day I know thousands of people’s lives were shattered. It was a horrible day. 

My birthday this year was thankfully very uneventful. I got home from work at 9:30 last night after a very long day. I sat in a conference all day and had a work dinner last night. Kyle had 2 dozen gorgeous red roses waiting for me, which was sweet. My awesome visiting teacher Michelle had been by and left me a bouquet of mixed flowers. I also had numerous texts and Facebook posts during the day from my family and friends. It was a nice calm day.

1 comment:

Emily M said...

I will never ever forget that day!! And us all glued to your TV. That would be hard to celebrate after that! I am glad you had a good b-day and way to go Kyle and getting you the roses!!