Thursday, April 4, 2013

"Use Your Words"


The last few weeks I’ve heard the statement “Use Your Words” used several times. When I hear this phrase it brings to my mind how powerful our words can actually be. The best example I’ve had of this lately is a Facebook page I came upon a few months ago. It is titled, “Mitchell’s Journey.”

Mitchell’s Dad has been journaling Mitchell’s battle with Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. Sadly, Mitchell lost that battle and passed away a month ago. His Dad, Chris is a very talented writer and photographer. I don’t know the Jones family but by reading his words I feel as if I personally felt their loss. I felt of Mitchell’s special spirit and his strength. I am so grateful Chris decided to share his families experience through his words. He has touched my life and many others.

I would hope those around me feel I use words for good and not to hurt others. Words can be a powerful weapon, can cut deep, and do irreparable damage. We are hearing about it all the time now with bullying and teasing in schools.

The person who can be the most effected by your words is yourself. Self-talk is very powerful. Do you boost yourself up or tear yourself down? Unfortunately, I think the things we tell ourself are usually negative and not helpful. Try to pay more attention to what you are telling yourself and when you catch it being negative change it to a positive.

Let us make a commitment to “Use Our Words” for good. Use them to life others up. Compliment and praise other people with what we choose to say.

No comments: