Thursday, May 28, 2009

Remembering Grandma Ila

I went out to dinner with a new friend on Monday night and when he brought me home we were sitting in his truck talking and I started to tell him a little bit about Grandma Ila. I sure do miss her. I think maybe even more so because I'm living here in her house. As I write this there are tears running down my face and I don't cry very often. Grandma Ila was an amazing person. She was a giver and it didn't matter what the sacrifice to her (or us) might be. If she saw something that needed done she was going to make sure it happened. We were volunteered for many projects without our consent and of course we did them because it was almost impossible to tell her no and stand by it. I both loved and hated that she would tell you what she thought and didn't care about the consequences of it. This brought about more than one disagreement. I sometimes wish I the courage to say what I think. I'm always worried it might cause problems. I have remembered her "life is hard" lecture several times over the past few years. Of course with it being Memorial Day this week it brings to mind the many trips to the cemetery to clean the headstones and make sure there were flowers for each occasion. When I go out with a guy I find myself wondering what she would think of him and if he would be someone she would approve of. Would he have passed her interrogation or have been intimidated by her? I guess when I find the one that I think would have been able to do that I'll know he's the right one. I wish she was here to enjoy the new great-grandkids. They would have brought her so much joy and I know she loves them so much. I love you and I miss you every day Grandma! Thanks for the incredible memories we shared over the years.

4 comments:

Mindy M. said...

I miss Aunt Ila so much!! I am always wondering what all of them would be thinking or saying if they were still here ~ "those darn kids, I have the cutest grandkids, and Howard would have an opinion for everything" ~ I really do miss her and Rods grandparents and mine!! Thanks for the posting such a cute picture and reminder of the good ol' days!!

Natalie said...

Oh my goodness--I think I had almost forgotten what she looked like because I just couldn't take my eyes off that picture. What a beautiful picture and post. It really made my day and made me cry. :)

Emily M said...

I feel so blessed that we were able to have such a wonderful grandma! I miss her daily! Thanks for the post on her!

The Hunt Family said...

I miss your Grandma too. She was the sweetest person I have ever met. Just thinking of her brings me back to my childhood. You know I have video of us at our Seminary Graduation and she was in the video...I cried when I saw that.